Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A month of Koryu Dai Ichi

Each month this year I am focusing on a different kata (formal exercise) from one of the arts that we do here at Mokuren Dojo.  I have also been trying to shine a little light on some of the lesser-known kata that not everyone may have heard of.
.
This coming month I will be doing a month-long focus on the Tomiki aikido exercise called Koryu Dai Ichi .(or as we affectionately call it, ichikata) to culminate in a seminar that I'll be teaching at Windsong Dojo in Oklahoma City on May 20th and 21st.
.
This kata is not one that is typically used for ranking purposes in any of the clubs that I'm familiar with, but it does contain some interesting techniques and ideas - some of which are repeated in the other five koryunokata, and some of which appear quite unique.
.
To get us started I thought I'd post a very nice vid of two of our British buddies running through the techniques.  They might be mortified that I would use their video as an example, but I think this is a very lovely vid, with good energy, good pacing, and most importantly, it looks like they are having fun doing it.


____________________
Patrick Parker
www.mokurendojo.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...