Sunday, July 19, 2009

Slicker than snail snot!

A friend of mine loaned me a couple of DVDs that he recently bought.  One was Zdenek Matl's Variations DVD and the other was Clif Norgaard's Ashiwaza DVD - Both available from GW Enterprises.  I have to say, these were the most astounding technical DVDs I've seen in a long time. 
.
Dr. Norgaard's broken timing entries into the ashiwaza were not so different from some of my entries on some of my throws, but he was doing it across this whole set of throws and the effect seemed magnified, as if his understanding of this whole set of things was based on that broken timing.  I do a similar broken timing entry on ashiguruma, but this video clearly demonstrates that I stand to improve by carrying that concept into some other techniques - especially Dr. Norgaard's miraculous uchimata.  It seems this lesson has been the one I've been missing for a long time with regard to uchimata.
.
And Mr. Matl's approach to haraitsurikomiashi and uchimata were particularly instructive too.  It was apparent that he has made his mantra of "safe - effective - simple" a part of all of his judo.  I also liked how his variations on judo techniques were NOT optimized for shiai or for self-defense, but were clearly effective in both environments.
.
It's going to take me a long time to dissect and internalize the information on these two DVDs.  If you want to join me in this quest, check out these DVDs at GW Enterprises.
____________
Patrick Parker, is a Christian, husband, father, judo and aikido teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282
____________
Subscribe now for free updates from the Mokuren Dojo blog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...