This is a very nice demonstration of Koshiki no kata (Forms of antiquity), one of the most advanced kata in the Kodokan kataset. These were the forms of the old Kito school from which part of judo theory and practice was devised. Koshiki demonstrates the principle of kito (literally "rise-fall" or "wax-wane"). Notice that the first section is composed of pairs of very similar techniques in which tori executes the first technique, then in the second repetition uke resists or changes it somehow and tori must accomodate the change. It is also a very punishing kata for uke, as you will notice that almost every technique is a sacrifice throw. Often you will see uke fall out to the side of tori and afterwards tori, in a kneeling position, will shift his knee out to the side. This is a symbolic reminder that tori could have brought uke down onto or over his knee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Someone asked me a while back to post what I consider to be pros and cons of aikido and judo – sort of what I like and dislike about aiki...
-
Boy, I thought that Dave had found nearly the ultimate example a few months ago of a bunch of chi-tards and their hippie shenanigans, but th...
-
It seems that Japanese arts (we'll take aikido as an example for this post) seem to have a different concept of posture than do Chinese ...
-
Photo courtesy of Nimr Hassan Several months ago I got to attend a conference with a lot of very high-level speakers and demonstrators, and...
-
Every so often I put a call out to my readers to help me out here on my blog. I try to keep this to a minimum because I don't want to s...
No techno music or urband drumbeats? I was a little dissapointed :-)
ReplyDeleteThe final rest of Uki was kind of interesting. Legs splayed out like a little kid sitting down anywhere...
Ha! Yeah, no funky music, just strange looking kata.
ReplyDelete