Thursday, December 03, 2009

The Mysterious, Amazing Sensei Legend


Photo courtesy of Okinawa Soba
I've been doing a series of articles on various myths or legends or apocryphal stories that circulate amongst martial artists. Here you can see my previous posts on the Legend of the 3000 Year Old Martial Art, the Legend of the 8000 Techniques, and the Champion-Buster Legend. Today I'd like to talk about a super-common story that I like to call The Legend of The Mysterious, Amazing Sensei.
.
I'm sure you've heard this one. Someone tells you a handful of anecdotes about things their amazing sensei did. He was a ninja warrior, a Vietnam vet who pulled someone's heart our with his bare hands, a Navy SEAL (It's amazing how many ex-SEALS I've met. They must all retire to my area!), counter-terrorist, studied on the mountain with demons, etc... The only problem is this amazing man has died/moved to Tibet/transcended this dimension (choose one).
.
The story almost always wraps up with something like, "Since my mysterious sensei was the greatest warrior ever, and since I'm his only living student, I am obviously the best sensei you could ever hope to have (so you'd better stay here and keep paying me big money instead of going and studying with those inferior guys.)" Anyone ever hear something like this one?
.
If you're the type to believe this sort of story, I just happen to have the perfect product for you...



____________
Send me an email or let's connect on Facebook or Twitter

____________
Patrick Parker is a Christian, husband, father, martial arts teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282 木蓮
____________
Subscribe now for free updates from Mokuren Dojo
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...