Friday, August 28, 2009

Raging bull vs. aikido

How much is effective a good aikidoka against bigger opponent who simply attack strong as raging bull?
While the large, strong, raging opponent is both dangerous and frightening, this one is an aikidoka's dream come true. If aikido ever has a really good chance to be effective, it is against just this sort of opponent. Where aikido often appears to have more problems is with more careful, deliberate opponents who want to surgically dismantle the aikidoka.
.
Reminds me of a great anecdote... In college all my roommates were into martial arts and one of our mutual acquaintances (named "Skeeter") was always on me about how "that aikido sh** wouldn't work on me!" My roommates and I had tried to reason with Skeeter - tried to show him little tricks and limited examples of the principles behind aikido, etc... But he just wouldn't have it. Finally one day we were at the pool and Skeeter was riding me about how much aikido sucks and I'd had enough. I stood beside the pool and told Skeeter, "Alright, come at me." And you know what? HE DID! He stepped in to grab me and I sidestepped and threw him about eight feet out into the deep end of the pool to land on the back of his shoulders. The technique was a perfect kubiguruma! Skeeter came up sputtering and coughing and yelled out, "Man! If that will work on me, that would work on anybody!" From that day on, Skeeter was aikido's biggest fan, telling everyone we met how awesome aikido was.
.
But where aikido is REALLY effective against this sort of violent, raging maniac, is not in the ability to break arms or throw them on their heads. The REAL power in aikido is to suck the energy (both physical and spiritual) out of the aggressor, reducing them toward a more reasonable, lower-energy state. Consider the famous Terry Dobson Tokyo Train story for an example of what I mean.
.
See here for my answers to Sensei Zoran's first and fifth questions.
.
More to come...
____________
Patrick Parker is a Christian, husband, father, martial arts teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282
____________
Suggested great books on aikido, judo, and strategy.
____________
Subscribe now for free updates from the Mokuren Dojo blog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...