Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Blocking-in the moves of 31-jo kata

This is the best instructional vid I've found on YouTube for helping to learn 31 jo kata.  Note, when I say 'learn' the kata, I don't mean application or really anything more than superficial blocking-in of the movements.  For that purpose, this video is excellent because of the slow and step-wise pacing.
.
Also notice the reference lines on the floor.  You can take those as general indicators of what direction to step, but instead, I prefer to pay attention to which quadrant he is stepping into with each foot rather than which line he is stepping on. Concentrate on stepping off of lines rather than onto lines.
.
Solo kata like this has some major issues, that can be overcome through other forms of training.  I will get into that in a later post.


____________________
Patrick Parker
www.mokurendojo.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...