This is remarkable. I've always wondered what ever became of those poor traditional karate guys that got smeared so badly in the first UFCs. Then I stumbled across the following - a series of posts by Fred Ettish, Okinawan karateka from Minnesota (I think) who lost in UFC 2, about his life since then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Someone asked me a while back to post what I consider to be pros and cons of aikido and judo – sort of what I like and dislike about aiki...
-
Boy, I thought that Dave had found nearly the ultimate example a few months ago of a bunch of chi-tards and their hippie shenanigans, but th...
-
It seems that Japanese arts (we'll take aikido as an example for this post) seem to have a different concept of posture than do Chinese ...
-
Photo courtesy of Nimr Hassan Several months ago I got to attend a conference with a lot of very high-level speakers and demonstrators, and...
-
Every so often I put a call out to my readers to help me out here on my blog. I try to keep this to a minimum because I don't want to s...
Very, very interesting read. Thanks Patrick.
ReplyDeleteIt would be cool to see an event, maybe once a year, where a respected org of each TMA is invited to attend and put forward select athletes for competition. This could be a MMA-style freeform fighting event or it could be like the TMA olympics, which would include the NHB fighting in addition to other events.
IMO it's a good idea to start giving developing martial artists a different target to aim for...something that doesn't chew people up and spit them out so some couch potatoes can have entertainment, yet something that encourages participation by a variety of groups.
Maybe there's something like this already?
I saw the fight. He shouldn't have been shamed by it. It wasn't a real life self defense situation, and with the cameras and crowd anyone would get rattled. Yes, he took a beating, but he didn't quit. Even when it was obvious he lost, he stayed in a lot longer than I would have. I think it's ashame they didn't let him come back for a second chance.
ReplyDelete