This kata is not generally encountered next after Goshin Jitsu but it is the Kodokan's ancient self-defense form, whereas Goshin Jitsu is the modern self-defense forms. Kime no kata (The forms of decisiveness) are pieces of old jujitsu systems that Kano pulled together as judo was coalescing in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The coolest thing about this kata to me is the repetitiveness. You will notice that the same core set of unarmed combat principles are applied to empty handed kneeling, knife kneeling, standing, standing with a weapon, etc... This really drives home the idea that these ideas are good regardless of the situation. You will also notice that these ancient forms have a distinctly different flavor to them than do the modern forms. A different feel. Kime no kata is about combat decisiveness, whereas Goshin Jitsu is more about self-defense.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Someone asked me a while back to post what I consider to be pros and cons of aikido and judo – sort of what I like and dislike about aiki...
-
Boy, I thought that Dave had found nearly the ultimate example a few months ago of a bunch of chi-tards and their hippie shenanigans, but th...
-
It seems that Japanese arts (we'll take aikido as an example for this post) seem to have a different concept of posture than do Chinese ...
-
Photo courtesy of Nimr Hassan Several months ago I got to attend a conference with a lot of very high-level speakers and demonstrators, and...
-
Every so often I put a call out to my readers to help me out here on my blog. I try to keep this to a minimum because I don't want to s...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.