Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Three questions regarding falling...

Question 1:
In your adult life, how many times can you think of that you or one of your close friends has been physically assaulted - as in, some situation that we train for in our martial arts?  For me, off the top of my head...
  • I was in a multiple-attackers, knife assault in Krystals in Bessemer Alabama in college.
  • A friend of mine was attacked by a handful of rowdies one New Years night in college.
  • A friend of mine had her breast grabbed by a guy at a dance club - the grabber was then dispatched by her boyfriend.
  • A friend of mine in college used a wristlock to shut up a smartalek that grabbed his arm in a bar.
  • Some low-life street punks threw a brick at me and my son a couple of years ago, then ran off.
...and that's about it.  And that's pretty much straining at gnats to try to remember situations.
.
Question 2:
How many times in your adult life have you or your close friends fallen down - as in an unintended descent to the ground?
  • A buddy of mine slipped yesterday on a waxed floor and hit on the back of his shoulders.
  • Another buddy of mine fell off his roof a couple of weeks ago.
  • My elderly mom fell three times in the past two weeks, and she has fallen a couple of times in the years before that.
  • A building contractor friend of mine has fallen off of a ladder twice recently.
  • I can remember three of my patients falling during my rehab career.
  • My elderly dad fell from a ladder off a porch a couple of years ago.
  • I got an email from a college buddy the other day saying that he slipped twice playing soccer with his son.
  • A buddy of mine fell off of an elevated porch when a rotted step broke under him a few months ago.
  • My wife tripped and fell in a school parking lot when she was pregnant with one of our sons.
  • A student of mine fell out of a moving truck at work.
  • Another friend of mine fell about 25 feet off of a telephone pole at work!
  • Another student of mine slipped on wet concrete and landed on the back of his head.
  • I slipped twice in college - once on snow and once on mud - and I frequently tripped running up steps.
...and that's just the ones that I can remember in about 5 minutes without really trying too hard.
.
Unless your job involves people trying to hurt you (police, military, etc...), you are probably like me and my friends...
.
You will slip, trip, and fall many, many more times in your life than you will ever be assaulted.
.
And I'm not talking about just a little bit more likely.  I'm saying your likelihood of falling is orders of magnitude greater than your likelihood of being assaulted.
.
.
Question 3:
What proportion of your class time do you spend practicing dealing with violent assaults and what proportion do you spend carefully, systematically learning to control unexpected falls?


--
____________________
Patrick Parker
www.mokurendojo.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...