Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Karate vs. Kung Fu

Wim posted this today on his blog, which reminded me of a story.  Seems about 22 years ago I was a hottie!  I had trained in TKD and karate and I worked out all the time.  I had done some competition and had had some successes.
.
I was at a tournament in Biloxi - and I was a green belt.  They put me in a ring with a kung fu guy wearing the cool-looking black and white sleeveless kung fu suit with the frog buttons and a gold sash (don't have a clue what that gold sash signifies).  Anyway, I was in the zone and they called go and I took a step in.  My strategy in those days was to control the center of the ring so I'd have more space to move and I could force the opponent to work the edges and maybe take a penalty or two.  Anyway, I stepped in and took control of the center of the ring...
.
And dude put a spinning hook kick on my temple and knocked me silly.  Stars and fireworks and everything!  I was astounded because the guys I'd been working out with, both karate and TKD, weren't able to do a good spinning hook until purple or brown belt.  I dragged myself back to the starting line, sure that this was going to be a long, hard time with me getting my butt kicked.
.
The referree called go again, and I stepped in and dude threw another spinning hook that whooshed past my face barely missing me as I beat a hasty retreat.  Then I got an idea!  I stepped in, almost to his kick range, and whoosh!  Another spinning hook kick.  I stepped back, and then stepped at him and whoosh!  Another spinning hook.
.
It's literally the only technique this nutjob knew how to do!
.
Needless to say, after I read this guy's playbook, I came back from being 2 points down and humiliated to win the match by a 10-point spread.  I hammered him with reverse punches in the ribs and kidneys every time that hook kick whooshed past me.  I got a dozen reverse punches in on this guy during the time limit.
.
So, all this is not to say that Kung Fu guys suck just because that one did.  I'd say that Wim has some pretty good commentary - especially about versatility over at his blog - go check it out.
____________
Send me an email or let's connect on Facebook or Twitter

____________
Patrick Parker is a Christian, husband, father, martial arts teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282 木蓮
____________
Subscribe now for free updates from Mokuren Dojo
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...