Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Staycation, hip throws, & rank testing

I'm in the midst of staycation (some might say stagnation) and tomorrow is my 9th anniversary, so I haven't been thinking any martial thoughts at all for about a week.  I've been swimming twice a day and taking naps in the afternoon and doing my aiki and judo classes, and I'm down about 8 pounds so far this week.
.
Ooh, I said no martial thoughts at all for the past week -that 's not completely true.  I've been contemplating vicissitudes - trying to figure out why it is that I've been kicked in the nuts so many more times in the last eight years by my own kids than in the previous 15+ years of TKD, karate, judo, etc...  We were fanatical about wearing cups in karate class - weren't allowed to participate without wearing one - but we were almost never hit there.  Maybe they ahould issue groin protectors to new dads in the baby care packages that they give out at the hospital.
.
Anyway, tonight, we had a fabulous kids judo class, culminating in Whit&Brandon working on hip throws (REAL hip throws), including ogoshi and kubinage!  Coolness.  We also had a great aikido class during which two students tested for green belt (yonkyo).  They are doing great work and we're looking forward to getting deeper into the rabbit hole starting next week.  Congrats to Tony  & Dallas!
____________
Patrick Parker, is a Christian, husband, father, judo and aikido teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282
____________
Subscribe now for free updates from the Mokuren Dojo blog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...