Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Skin contact in no-gi grappling

Photo courtesy of Ronald DeVilla
A while back I posted an article comparing and contrasting gi vs. no-gi grappling.  An issue that I didn't address in that article is that skin-on-mat and skin-on-skin contact gives a different kind of friction than does gi-on-mat or gi-on-gi.
.
Wearing shorts and a tee, you have a different sort of interface with the opponent and with the mat.  Sometimes the skin interface is stickier than cloth (as with skin-on-mat in a warm, humid room) and sometimes it is slicker (as in sweaty skin-on-skin).  I remember in college, grappling shirtless with my buddy, Steve, in the yard.  I caught him offbalance and sailed in for a hip throw that should have been a sure thing but I slipped off his sweaty arm and busted facefirst into the ground!  I had done a sweaty sukashi to myself!
.
When doing no-gi grappling, you also have to move differently to avoid matburn.  Sometimes with a gi you can slide a leg or arm or shoulder across the mat to make a quick transition but often with direct skin contact, you have to pick the limb up off the mat in order to move it.
.
Bottom line: play both gi and no-gi grappling.  You will learn different things under these two different conditions.
____________
Patrick Parker, is a Christian, husband, father, judo and aikido teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282
____________
Subscribe now for free updates from the Mokuren Dojo blog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...