Friday, May 15, 2009

Grossman & Christensen's 'On Combat'

A while back I reviewed Rory Miller's most excellent book, Meditations on Violence, and my comments were glowing. I called it an absolute must-read, vital for any serious martial artist, and I still say that Meditations was the best martial arts book I'd ever read... until now...
.
Not to diminish Meditations any, but I just finished reading Grossman & Christensen's On Combat, and found it to be truly inspired and truly inspirational. Nearly every page of the 390+ page tome has something so mind-bending to teach that I'd dare to say it would be hard to read this book without feeling that you absolutely must change some aspects of your training immediately in order to implement some of the suggestions.
.
Similar to Meditations, this book simply has too much information for a single review, so I'm planning to do a series of several reviews in the coming week. Even as such, I'll only be barely touching upon the high spots in the book.
.
In any case, if you are a policeman, firefighter, or soldier, if you are a martial artist, or even if you just have a passing interest in the psychology and physiology of extreme stress (such as combat) then this book is definitely one that you must have.
.
Stay tuned to see how the Introduction to On Combat meshes so well with some of the material here on my Mokuren Dojo blog that it simply blew my mind!
____________
Patrick Parker, is a Christian, husband, father, judo and aikido teacher, Program Director for a Cardiac Rehab, and a Ph.D. Contact: mokurendojo@gmail.com or phone 601.248.7282
____________
Subscribe now for free updates from the Mokuren Dojo blog
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...