Tonight at Judo we practiced kouchigari and ouchigari. These are great throws, but not my favorites. I've seen some amazing examples of these throws - particularly by Bob Rea and Nick Lowry, but they're still not my tokuiwaza. If there is a problem with these throws, it's that they tend to put tori between uke's legs in the dreaded GUARD (which we call dojime even if we don't squeeze the torso). So tonight we worked these throws with tori working his way out of uke's guard into a side position (ushirokesa or mune) after the throw. This was one of those slow classes, where each drop of sweat was a tick of the clock. At the end, Cody obliged me and was uke for me to practice some Jodo for about 10 minutes. I got to do several repetitions of hikiotoshiuchi and kuritsuke. Both were working pretty well, if I do say so myself. Kuritsuke felt like gedanate to me tonight though. I don't know if it's because that's the technique I blogged about recently so it was on my mind or if it is supposed to work that way, but it was sure interesting and thought-provoking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Someone asked me a while back to post what I consider to be pros and cons of aikido and judo – sort of what I like and dislike about aiki...
-
Boy, I thought that Dave had found nearly the ultimate example a few months ago of a bunch of chi-tards and their hippie shenanigans, but th...
-
It seems that Japanese arts (we'll take aikido as an example for this post) seem to have a different concept of posture than do Chinese ...
-
Photo courtesy of Nimr Hassan Several months ago I got to attend a conference with a lot of very high-level speakers and demonstrators, and...
-
Every so often I put a call out to my readers to help me out here on my blog. I try to keep this to a minimum because I don't want to s...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.